07 March 2014
The Society of Authors is seeking a Communications Manager to join its team based in South Kensington, London. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a not-for-profit organisation working within the publishing industry.
As the main PR and Marketing contact, you will be responsible for developing and driving all communications activities, working closely with relevant staff to identify and implement new initiatives. This role reports directly to the Chief Executive and is a great opportunity to be hands-on and autonomous. You will be responsible for:
- Strategy - developing and implementing the SoA’s communications strategy. Undertaking the necessary monitoring and evaluation of communications strategies.
- Media relations – responsible for press releases as well as developing new marketing opportunities and channels. Building relationships and contacts with relevant print, broadcast and online journalists. Responding to all media enquiries in a timely and accurate fashion. Producing media briefings. Ensuring that all SoA media coverage is recorded for dissemination to SoA staff.
- Brand awareness - helping to raise public awareness and positively influencing public opinion around key issues/campaigns. Ensuring that all SoA output, briefing papers and key correspondence copy, is in SoA house style.
- Online – overall responsibility for the website, writing copy and monitoring the site to ensure it is kept up-to-date. Managing and developing the Society's online and social media strategy through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media channels. Providing regular reviews of ways to improve the web content, functionality and design, as well as monitoring website traffic and usage.
- Marketing campaigns - planning and placing online and print campaigns, e-marketing flyers and overseeing all events marketing material.
- Internal communications - responsibility for internal communications. Working closely with our IT Manager on projects and strategy. Line-managing the Communications team.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years' experience as a Communications Manager, ideally, within the publishing or not-for-profit sector. An understanding of the publishing industry and an interest in SoA issues is desirable but not essential.
You will have exceptional written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills and should be able to demonstrate experience of communicating complex and nuanced issues to the media.
You will have an enthusiasm for new opportunities presented by social media and new technology and have a creative and innovative approach to communications and branding. Experience of the Drupal CMS is desirable.
You will be able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team, with a willingness to 'pitch in' as required in a small organisation. A willingness to work outside normal office hours when necessary.
Salary: £30,000-£35,000 depending on experience.
Please email your CV and covering letter to Anna Ganley at AGanley@societyofauthors.org if you wish to apply for this role.
Closing date for applications is Friday 21 March 2014.
As we receive a high volume of applications, regretfully, we are only able to respond to successful candidates who will be contacted within two working days.