The Society of Authors administers a number of grants and prizes for writers.
The Authors' Foundation and the K Blundell Trust assist writers with research costs or to 'buy time' to write, and grants totalling over £100,000 are awarded each year.
Grants for works in progress:
Grants for writers in need:
These prizes for fiction, non-fiction, poetry, translation and drama are worth £76,000 in prize money.
- The Betty Trask Prize & The Betty Trask Awards (£20,000 total)
- The Tom-Gallon Trust Award (£1,000)
- The McKitterick Prize (£4,000)
- The Somerset Maugham Awards (also open to non-fiction & poetry)
- The Somerset Maugham Awards (also open to fiction & poetry)
- The Eric Gregory Awards
- The Cholmondeley Awards (submissions not accepted)
- The Somerset Maugham Awards (also open to fiction & non-fiction)
Listen to a recording of the 2014 Translation Prizes ceremony here.
- Arabic Translation: The Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize (£3,000)
- Dutch Translation: The Vondel Prize (€5,000)
- French Translation: The Scott Moncrieff Prize (£2,000)
- German Translation: The Schlegel-Tieck Prize (£3,000)
- German Translation: The Goethe-Institut Award for New Translation (€1,000)
- Italian Translation: The John Florio Prize (£2,000)
- Modern Greek Translation: The Hellenic Foundation for Culture Translation Prize (entry closed)
- Spanish Translation: The Premio Valle Inclán (£2,000)
- Swedish Translation: The Bernard Shaw Prize (£2,000)
(Photo credit 2014 awards: Michael Jershov)