To find out how to join, please click here.
Full members of the Society of Authors benefit from a wide range of services including:
- clause-by-clause contract vetting
- advice on any professional issue or problem (including copyright, agents, publishers, film options)
- free copies of the extensive Quick Guide series (follow link for details of titles)
- The Author quarterly journal packed with useful advice, information and articles
- opportunities to meet other writers, as well as publishers and agents
- invitations to talks, seminars and regional meetings
- membership of specialist groups
- free ALCS membership
- listing on our online database
- British Library Readers’ Ticket
- special offers on car and van rental, insurance, Publishing News subscriptions, Best Western hotel bookings and pensions
- special rates of accommodation at the Royal Overseas League and the Goodenough Club
- membership to the London Press Club at the special group rate and to the New Cavendish Club
- use of the Poetry Society Cafe
- up to 25% discount on books from OUP, Blackwells, Waterstone’s, Foyles, The Pan Bookshop and The Westminster Bookshop
- reduced room hire rates for the Society’s board room
Current members can get full details of the discounts available, and how to claim them, by logging into the Members only section.
Note: We will take up complaints for members. If an issue of general concern to authors is at stake, and the risk and cost preclude individual action, legal procedings may be undertaken at our expense. Our members see the Society as a form of insurance, which can be important even if you have an agent. A typical hour’s consultation with an intellectual property lawyer would cost you at least £250.
We will also be pleased to give guidance and advice (but cannot incur legal expense or become directly involved) in connection with difficulties pending at the time of election or re-election, publishing agreements where the author contributes towards the cost of production, problems arising outside of the UK, or a dispute with another author.
For general enquiries about membership please contact the Membership Secretary.